Friday, January 30, 2009

Progress!

Tom & I got started yesterday around 10:00 and worked until 4:00 or so. We finished the process we had started Wednesday afternoon--recording the basic guitar and vocals for all the songs. I ended up with 13 total, with no guarantee that I will use them all, but this will give me a little choice when we are finished. I even recorded a song that I wrote a couple of days ago.

Recording the guitar is liking being under a microscope. Okay, it's like being in front of a microphone. Why use a metaphor when the literal description is just as accurate? Every little pop, squeak, buzz or string hit not quite right is caught and then played back very loudly. This can make a person sad. But the beauty of Pro Tools is that you can record over the buzzes--punch in, play a clean chord or note, punch out. It's a bit like cheating. However, I'd make the same mistake live and you'd never hear it and it would be no big deal. This is going to be captured for posterity so I'm all for the edits.

We took a break in the evening. I checked email. I read Dracula. Tom was taking his step daughters out for Thai and I tagged along. I am very much looking forward to my leftovers for lunch. We came home and the girls and Cary went to bed. Tom & I headed out to the studio with Thurman and worked for a couple more hours. We worked until I got to that sleepy point where you can't think too critically or form a solid opinion. "Sure" was about all I could muster and we called it a day.

A note about Thurman: Thurman is a gigantic white Golden Doodle. He's like a big sheep. I love this guy. When the girls were at school and Cary was out, Thurman came into the studio with us. He just curled up on the floor and listened. I often asked his opinion of things. I found myself repeating throughout the day, "Well...I'll take your indifference as a yes!" or if my personal answer was no, "I'll take your indifference as a no."

The studio, by the way, is a converted garage just a few steps out the back door. I'll post pics at some point. The interior is entirely wrapped in sari's and other gorgeous materials. There's a bazillion instruments hung on the wall, book shevles, recording equipment, and the futon. No windows. A space heater for winter and a little AC for summer. I have slept the sleep of the dead out there. It's great.

That's all for now.

Paul, if you are reading: Golden Doodle = hypoallergenic

No comments: